Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Inca Trail


Llama and vicuna crossing.


The beginning of the Inca Trail, KM 82.


Our hiking group at Dead Woman's Pass, 4,200 meters high. The name really says it all.


Fun times in Cuzco.


Love for Atari, even in Cuzco.


Condors in Colca Canyon.

I made it! 4,200 meters high and 45 kilometers long, ending up at the Sun Gate at Machu Picchu.

Pragati my rock star college buddy came down recently and we went traveling around with her very cool cousin Dipesh aka Dr. Peace Monkey and we made a trip to Arequipa and Cuzco. We were going to hit Lake Titicaca in Puno too, but were deterred by some strikes due to the APEC meetings.

So in Arequipa we stayed in the city and in a town in Colca Canyon called Chivay, which is a name seriously close to my favorite fancy beer brand. There we saw the CONDORS! It was gorgeous.

Then we went on to Cuzco and hug out in the city dancing and playing, went to the Sacred Valley and hiked the Inca Trail. I made 2 major life decisions on the Inca Trail. 1. I'm never smoking again (not that I ever have Mom) and 2. I'm marrying someone who likes hiking, trekking, going to the beach, and generally being outside and getting dirty. It's such a fundamental part of what makes me tick and what makes the universe in general go round.

In short, the Andes are shockingly beautiful. Come. See.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Ella and Pragati! You guys rock! xo, Tina