Thursday, September 06, 2007

My Life as a Trash Cheerleader

They started the TRASH STUDY on Tuesday! Today was Day 3. This is very exciting. I have been harping on this since May when we went to Santo Domingo and it's actually happening. Solid Waste Management also has a budget for the coming year- by popular vote I might add. This is great! So today I hung out with Diana, a biologist working on the study, and Freddy and Guillermo who are helping collect trash from a sample of 36 houses. We separate it into categories (organics, plastic, glass, paper, toilet paper, and just plain trash) and weigh it all out behind town hall every day for 8 days. Fun times for the Trash Cheerleader.

More on the Privatization conversation... I got another article today from the Libertarian Godfather. It's again from the Wall Street Journal so I'm linking to a text document. CLICK ON TITLE FOR LINK. It's an interesting compromise for my biggest, BIGGEST problem with privatization which is the question of health care. I do want to say that I find the personal responsibility rhetoric i.e. fat people are just lazy and stupid, people with cirrhosis deserve it and should not get a "free ride" for their bad lazy lameness, totally offensive and misguided and this article definitely takes that tack. On the other hand it explains a health care system 1. where everyone gets health insurance 2. with options of different companies 3. where people who have a hard time getting health insurance are entitled to coverage and the kicker 4. where the state offers real assistance to those who cannot afford health care.

And some unrealted words of wisdom that I liked even though I've never actually read his books- what with the whole they being scary thing.

Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule. - Stephen King

No comments: