Thursday, September 13, 2007

Factiod

Last night I was reading Mountains Beyond Mountains, which is an amazing book if you haven't read it. It set me to thinking about the particular economic realities of Rinconada Llicuar and sent me on a search of my calculator.

There are about 500 households in Rinconada Llicuar. At least 64% of them do not have bathrooms inside their houses or latrines (pit toilets without running water), so about 320 households. It costs about 500 soles to build a bathroom that includes a flush toilet (with a bucket), walls, a cement floor and connection to the waste water system. The current exchange rate is 3.15 soles to the dollar... My college loans are significantly greater than the cost of putting basic bathrooms in all of the houses that need them in Rinconada Llicuar.

No comments: