Friday, February 15, 2008

Sex in the City on the Big Screen

My time in Peace Corps continues to surprise me. I spent last night, in the rural northern Peruvian desert, watching the cancelled HBO series Sex and the City, projected onto the blank white wall of my cement bunker house with a few volunteers who live fairly nearby. I have a minor, admittedly unhealthy obsession with the show and as this is not an uncommon problem among my peers, I'm not as ashamed of it as I probably should be. The difference here is that most of those other women just Netflix the thing. Peace Corps volunteers develop complicated networks of DVD lending to accomplish this feat and go to extremes with big screen viewing at a Mexican food and Valentine’s Day party.

Fortunately, the Municipality had a free heath care campaign yesterday as part of the town's anniversary celebration and I showed some educational videos about domestic violence with Peace Corps' projector. Since it was sitting in my living room waiting at ready for a similar demonstration on Monday afternoon I thought it couldn't hurt to take advantage of the situation. I think tonight I may choose a more family friendly video and invite the neighbours over; perhaps Mulan dubbed in Spanish. Fun times at Ella's Neighbourhood Theatre.

No comments: