Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feliz Dia de la Amistad!

I don't know if it's blogger or if it's the fact that my internet connection works on a geological time frame, but photos from Carnival are still coming "soon" and I'm using "soon" in the Peruvian sense of the word. They are fabulous I assure you. Think good-looking men dressed in diapers, water balloons, and me covered from head to toe in pastel paint joyfully skipping though the streets of Cajamarca grinning ear to ear.

We had the last dance for Carnival in Rinconada Llicuar on Monday night. Armonia 10 was absolutely fabulous. In the world of Northern Peruvian Cumbia they are rivals to Agua Marina who played about a week ago now. Armonia 10 won the fun factor as they played some American rock songs and I was happy to oblige my fellow Rinconadans as they LOVE to learn new dances, especially when they involve the Gringa making a fool of herself by trying to teach the neighbor's grandpa how to dance hip-hop. Gramps is great and at 80 years old is digging up sweet potatoes in his field, but I'm still tired.

I'm spending my evenings watching Sex in the City DVDs on my laptop. Thanks to my friend and fellow Austinite Kate who OWNS the box set in all its pink plush glory. We're not talkin' pirated Lima crap, oh no, we're talkin' the McCoy. It's a nostalgic experience and makes me love and hate New York even more. A shout out to Las Ladies, only one of whom still calls The Big Apple home, but that PhD thesis researched at I-kid-you-not Paddles in Manhattan is going to be a blast to read in a year or two. D, don't move, please. We need someone in Manhattan so that we can celebrate New Year's properly. Sex in the City is making me miss New York so very much. I'm rolling all the possibilities of what I can do after Peace Corps around in my head and I am faced with my usual problem: the world is big and there are so many cool places to live and jobs to do. New York, DC, Austin, the Peruvian jungle? The novel recent addition, now that I'm about to turn 30 is that I want to settle down, marry and have some kids (or maybe a kid) at some point, not soon, but sometime. I know. It's so provincial, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want it. What would it be like to be an old lady in a rocking chair on a front porch without that? Who knows. Maybe I'll find out, but I hope not.

We are still doing English Classes in Summer Day Camp. I'm basically going though this CD of kids songs that I picked up at a teacher's supply store over Christmas in the States. My kids can now do a rousing version of "Are You Sleeping Brother John?" You would be impressed at their singing diction and we're working on translating the singing to speaking.

Other than that life has been pretty much about partying lately. Carnival is my new favorite holiday. I think Velaciones is now a close second. Oh but the other exciting good news is that the mayor's girlfriend moved into his house, so there's no more talk of me marrying the mayor. This has made meeting with me mayor easier and more fun.

Happy Valentine's Day! Much love to all. Forgive my spelling, as spell check seems to be working within the geological time frame.

No comments: