Thursday, August 09, 2007

Snail with a Limp

Not much happening in the campo... still. My dad used to say, ¨We're off like a heard of turtles.¨ whenever he and my mom got all four of us, a friend or two, and maybe the dog loaded into the brown Chevy Suburban. I have a feeling that I'm just beginning the understand the meaning of this phrase. But I haven't seen any turtles in Rinconada. There are snails however. I think a snail with a limp is the metaphor I want to adopt for now.

This weekend should be fun. It is the holiday for the patron saint of Rinconada Llicuar, la Virgin de Soccorro. Folks are cleaning up the park: sanding, painting, sweeping and trimming. I helped sand the rod iron fences today.

I also went into my shared office at Town Hall for my newly implemented Office Hours. I share with a very cool lawyer. She works in the DEMUNA office. DEMUNA is in charge of domestic legal issues, like child support payments and family violence as a local public service. She recently started to work at Town Hall 2 days a week to be a resource for these issues. She's cool and we have great conversations about legal differences between the US and Peru re. issues like rape, child support, divorce, abortion and the death penalty. Making friends, pretty exciting.

No comments: