Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Little shaky

We had an earthquake today. I didn't feel it at all, but I'm in the city at a conference and phones started ringing right and left. We didn't even feel it. My friend who lives north of me, even farther from the epicenter did feel it so maybe we were just in a sturdy building. In any case, our communications systems are suffering. Other than that I'm fine.

There's a Tsunami Warning issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. I had never heard of them before, but I've also never needed too. Then I read that it may have been revoked, but I'm having a hard time finding good information. Anyway, I'm going to do a little research before heading back to my coconut palm tree and rice paddy desert oasis.

This earthquakes thing is a little alarming but really interesting. I was in one for the first time in Sta. Eulalia. The wall just starting shaking and it took me a while to figure out why. By the time I realized what was happening it was over.

Today I was in Piura at this Peruvian Army conference center. Martin, the dad from the family that I used to live with came with me. We had a conference about using radio for development work. We made little programs about development issues relevant to the communities where we live. He has worked with a non-profit radio station in Piura for a number of years. He is a community based reporter and had the opportunity to go to trainings about journalism and reporting over the years so he was interested and excited to come. Most small towns in Peru have community radio stations that are important resources, especially in the mountains. Where I live on the coast people can get national radio stations so in Rinconada we don't have a community station. But I think that there's one in the next town over so Martin and I are going to see about trying to do a little show there.

No comments: