Sunday, October 08, 2006

photos from back in DC



This year was the 45th anniversary of Peace Corps, so back in DC I think this was the evening of Sept. 15 we had this ceremony where former volunteers from Peru and Bolivia put little pins on us. It was the Peruvian flag and the American flag. Aren't I cute? John Hatch, the guy who started FINCA spoke and he was very inspiring.

All is well in sunny Chosica. We had biohuetos class- organic gardening yesterday at the Agricultural University in Lima. It was really cool. Every Saturday we're learning about what plants are native to Peru, the soil types, microclimates, a little bit of medicinal plants and nutrition. It's totally cool. I'm definitely going to try to plant a garden when I get to my site. Hopefully it will be a far cry from my very lame little ficus tree in Brooklyn. That little guy had a rough life.

Then we hung out in Jockey Plaza, which is actually an enormous shopping mall, but it's close the university and easy to get to. It was odd. We ate at a super fancy Pizza Hut no 8 year olds in their soccer uniforms or "Book It" cupons there. Hopefully next Saturday I'll make it central Lima. It's like an hour and a half from the university so it's a little tough to do on a Saturday afternoon, but with a little planning :)

Also I finished knitting my first pair of socks! Please admire becasue they took me like 6 months to make.

Also, I do have some good photos from here, but I haven't downloaded them yet. I'll put them up soon!

2 comments:

Mr. Teacher said...

Wow! Are those the same socks that you started last winter? I remember helping you unroll the hank. (I still think that's a weird term.) Anyway, now I'm just spinning a yarn. By the way, you do look cute in your DC pic. Then again, you always look great.

~Ed

Anonymous said...

AAWWWWW! How cute they are!! Excellent Job!!