Thursday, March 05, 2009

Happy Peace Corps Week!

Peace Corps takes a week every year to promote their "third goal" which means that they educate Americans about people and cultures around the world where Peace Corps works. In conjunction with National Peace Corps Week I had the great privilege of speaking to all 300 or so of the students at an Austin-area middle school called the Ann Richard's School for Young Women Leaders on Wednesday morning. It's a public middle school for girls. The students were specially invited to attend, sort of like a magnet school and it shows. I was so impressed with the students. It was such a privilege to be there for a few reasons. First, the girls were so bright and interested. An 8th grader asked me what people in my town had taught me while I was a volunteer. Another girl asked me how the Peace Corps could help in places like Darfur because she was very concerned about the conflict there. Those girls are just stunning. Second, the principal was my high school English teacher. She was that amazing teacher in my life. She pushed and pushed me to create, achieve and take risks that I never would have taken otherwise. She was also super strict and was frequently referred to as the Dragon Lady. In fact I vaguely remember that the Haydon boys, skinny rodeo clown twins in my class, posted a cartoon of a dragon on her classroom door as a joke. I think it lived there for the entire 4 years I was in high school at St. Michael's Catholic Academy. It was a great experience to have this demanding woman see my work. Third, the school's Texas history teacher will soon become my sister in law. (Big Party here in June!) I'm happy to say that I think I may have scored her some points at work. Finally, I have been back in the states for 65 days today. It's helpful to me to talk about Peace Corps as I readjust and start to look for a job. Speaking of jobs, got any leads?

No comments: