Saturday, September 06, 2008

Finishing up with Lazarus

It's decided. My last day in Rinconada Llicuar will be November 2. I can't believe it's almost over. It's like I'm trying to speed up and slow down at the same time. I have an impressive to-do list to make happen before I leave, like finish the 2 murals that I'm painting and write about 10 reports to Peace Corps, and find a place for the new volunteer to live but, I mostly just want to hang out with my host family.

I also met this really cool guy when I was in Cuzco in May and I think he's going to be moving to Rinconada next Saturday. The plan is that he move into my old house and stay until I leave, so for about 6 weeks, which seems crazy, but feels right. I have a feeling it will cause quite a stir in town but, he's Peruvian and for 2 years now everyone has been asking me when I will marry a Peruvian so, I think that they'll be excited.

Next weekend is the fiesta for the patron saint of Llicuar, San Lazaro. There will be fireworks, dance expositions, these Peruvian horses called caballos de pazo,and my personal favorite cumbia bands playing until like 6 AM. There is also a procession in which they carry a statue of the saint around town and stop and different houses to pray.

I like that I'm leaving with Lazarus, coming back from the dead. I certainly wasn't dead before Peace Corps, but I do feel renewed. It's like having new lenses in my glasses, a new perspective.

2 comments:

Pam said...

You're causin' a stir here with Nae-Nae and I with mysterious Peruvian fellows! FYI I plan on begining speculation with her as soon as I finish writing this, so your ears will be burning dear one.

Anonymous said...

HEHE I already can't wait to hear about this Peruvian...do I hear bells in the back ground!!!