Saturday, January 26, 2008

New Discoveries in Valleys

Apologies for checking out for a while. I'm sort of in a valley of the progression of peaks and valleys that comprise the Peace Corps experience. I'm not thrilled with the progress on my trash project. The town voted to put the project in its budget for this year. Here in Peru all town are required by law to do what's called Participatory Budgeting. There are town meetings where people discuss projects and decide on options for projects and improvements. Then, citizens vote on priorities in a public meeting. It's a cool system, very progressive. So, the town decided they want a Solid Waste Management Project. It's not clear to me that the mayor is being very transparent about the budget or evidencing in any way that they are in fact going to work on the projects prioritized by the community. Maybe I'm missing something. I really hope that I'm missing something. Ugggg. It's also just lonely lately. Life as a Gringa Freak Show strikes again.

On the upside:
I love Wildboyz. I realize that this show has come and gone and I'm arriving at this state of cognizance a little late. If you know me you're probably not surprised at the tardiness of my discovery. It's absolutely my new favorite show. My nearby Peace Corps Volunteer friend, Tania had the DVD's and I saw it for the first time at her birthday slumber party the other night. I must get Wildboyz.

AND there are parties. Many parties. Carnival started a week ago. It will last for weeks after Ash Wednesday and Rinconada Llicuar's anniversary is in mid-February. There are dances, parades, dance competitions, and fairs galore. Also, Rinconada Llicuar will be electing Miss Rinconada Llicuar again this year. Last year they wanted me to judge. This year they want me to be a contestant or Miss Carnival. Pageants. My favorite.

Here are some spellbinding shots form the Yunsa de San Sebastian. A Yunsa is a traditional celebration for Carnival. Folks chop down a tree, place gifts in the branches, and then hoist it up to be chopped down with an axe so that it falls into a crowd. Everyone runs at the falling tree to collect their gifts. Please note the front loader used to lift the tree. This is no small falling tree. There was also my neighbor Nicole's 2nd birthday and the arresting introduction of Marcy the baby goat to Scooby-doo my stealth panther cat.





Orlando helps the front loader lift the Yunsa into place.










Raising the Yunsa is team work for all ages.















The San Sebasitan funders take a Crystal beer and marinera dancing break from chopping down the Yunsa.














Choppin' the Yunsa










Local cumbia masters Sin Limites (Unlimited) put on a show after the big event.










Nicole and her daddy put on a fabulous party.









Marcy and Scooby meet.

No comments: