Saturday, February 24, 2007

starting a book group

I was reading Reading Lolita in Tehran and considering my whole emotional turmoil around expectations of women here it has been really helpful. I mean not that the expectations are the same here and in Tehran in the last few decades, but that idea of being frustrated with others presuming limitations of your abilities. In any case, it made me want to start a book group, like the one that Nafisi had in Tehran before she fled to the US... What should we read? What language should it be in? Who would be interested in such a thing?
I'm not sure if there are people in Rinconada who would be interested in a book group. So far I know of no such thing, but there are several university students in town so I feel hopeful that it might be possible, or that such a group may already exist. Hmmm.

No comments: