Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I've taken up running!?!

I have been feeling pretty sedentary lately and not liking it a bit. It's probably my personal continuous battle against diarrhea coupled with that Peace Corps fun of trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing all the time. In any case, I've taken up running and it seems to be helping on both fronts. What!?! You say in that incredulous tone I love so much. I know. I was also surprised at this development, but it's shaping up well. Fun times in Rinconada Llicuar. Reasons: 1. The loud speaker system in town wakes me up every morning at 5AM with the day´s news and events: Fresh fish for sale at Marta's house, PTA meeting at 3 at the elementary school, and telephone call for Sr. Alberto Rumiche at the public phone. It's pretty exciting and there's music. This seems like it would be quaint except it's 5 yes 5 in the morning and lasts for about an hour and a half. So at 5:30 AM a couple of weeks ago I was laying in bed thinking, ¨I should be doing something useful. I would love to be sleeping, but that is simply not possible. What shall I do?¨ 2. The day before I had 3 different meetings that no one showed up to and I was feeling generally ineffective. 3. I was also having this lack of exercise problem what with the great distance between me and the Brooklyn YMCA so I decided that as the sun was only just coming up and it was a balmy 75 degrees or so I would get some exercise. Running it is.

Since then I've done a little research on how to run, how much to run, etc... In doing so, I found The President's Challenge. Now the President is actually not my favorite guy in the whole world, but this challenge is pretty cool. It's a little exercise log and for me it's really helpful for motivation on those days when the loud speakers are going, but I just want to lay there and do nothing anyway.

http://presidentschallenge.org/

2 comments:

KG said...

Way to go Ella! I'll do the President's Challenge with you! Let's do it for our country! But, I can't say I'll be 100% with you until sometime in March when my body is relatively back to normal.

And whenever you're feeling unmotivated, remember that you've got that Statue of Liberty to inspire you.

Anonymous said...

While I have never been one to advocate any strenuous activity, I will be mentally running along side you.

Go get them Ewart!