Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Life as a crystal drinking yogi in Peru

So this is my first lesson in Peace Corps flexibility. Yesterday I was hurrying though my last 5 minutes at the internet cafe when I accidentally erased the whole damn blog. I was updating the title so that it included the is disclaimer about this not being an official Peace Corps site. grr...

Things are good in Sta. Eulalia. I live with a family that has 4 kids. The oldest is 26 and living and working in Spain. The next three are teenagers that live with me. So far I've been here 3 days and we have been to a birthday party of an extended family member everyday.

I walked into the house on Sunday after the Señora picked me up from the training center. I put down my suitcases and immediately went next door to a birthday party. I was sitting talking to people and drinking Crytal, apparently the national beer of Peru, and Inca Cola, definitely the national soda, when a group of Mexican Mariachi's came in to entertain the guests. We danced the congo and sang "Ai, yaiyaiyai canta no llores." What's the name of that song again? Fun times in Sta. Eulalia.

Tomorrow I go to the Ministry of Health to learn about their work. They're advertising a dog and cat vaccinating campaing this weekend in the square. I might be helping. Oddly this would not be the first time I have vaccinated animals against rabies.

I have been in the Peace Corps a week today!

1 comment:

Mr. Teacher said...

I'm glad that you're safe and already partying! :)